Discover the magical sights and sounds of nature at night at this fun-filled family event at our beautiful Rowe Woods location.
- Bring a flashlight and visit fun, interactive booths along the trails featuring nighttime plants and animals.
- View the astronomical wonders through telescopes and experience live raptors up close.
- Guests can enjoy a picnic dinner at tables behind our historic Krippendorf Lodge and listen to live music by Chris Rowlands.
- Food trucks will be available.
- Free ice cream!
Adult members $12, children $6; Adult nonmembers $14 children $8 (includes daily admission). Tickets are nonrefundable after purchase. Tickets for this event support the mission of Cincinnati Nature Center.
“Thank you for hosting our family for Preparing for Night year after year! You do such a nice job with this event. My children beg to come back each year. The educational booths are entertaining for all ages. We love the festive atmosphere and learning about creatures of the night! So much fun to eat great food while enjoying music. Thanks for putting on such a wonderful event!”
CLICK HERE for tickets!
Architecture and Landscape Design of the Former
Krippendorf and Groesbeck Estates
The Rowe Woods property boasts two estates that are on the National Registry of Historic places. Join us for a two-and-a-half-hour docent-led walking tour of both the interior and exterior of the homes built in the early 20th century by Carl Krippendorf and Grace Groesbeck. By exploring architectural style, horticulture and landscape design, we’ll see the ties between the two families, how they both sought to blend the natural world with the designed human world with influence from the British designer Gertrude Jekyll and how their efforts set the stage for the property that would become Cincinnati Nature Center.
Knowledgeable docents will be available in and around both Krippendorf Lodge and Groesbeck Lodge to share stories of the history of this unique place and answer your questions. This experience includes a revealing 20 minute self-guided walk between the two historic homes. Participants may opt to drive between the two homes.
- Experience a special viewing of the family homes at both estates, normally not open to the public.
- Deepen your understanding of the land by learning about what happened in the past.
- Hear stories of the Krippendorfs and Groesbecks within the context of the history of the Cincinnati area.
- Enjoy light refreshments while viewing artifacts from our colorful history.
- Discover the history in objects that you might have walked by 100 times while hiking the trails.
- Limited spaces available. Preregistration required. Register online by clicking on the orange link below.
- Members $20; nonmembers $29 (includes daily admission).
- Click HERE to register.
Testimonial regarding our Heritage Walk:
“Thank you so very much for all your time in planning and executing this wonderful experience. I’ve been coming here most of my life but this was the first class I’ve taken. History is so fascinating to me and learning about the incredible families who set the groundwork for this marvelous place was awe inspiring. You all did a great job.” ~ Kathleen B.
Long Branch Farm & Trails, where the history is as rich as the soil!
Discover the history of Long Branch Farm on this wonderful hiking tour! The stories told will peel back layers of history to reveal how former residents had local, national and even international influence ranging from the first land surveys in the area to the space race. By touring some of the trails and the exterior of three historic houses (circa 1830, 1850 and 1880), we’ll discern past residents’ fingerprints on the land and uncover why Long Branch still bears an agricultural “feel.” Preregistration required. Members $12; nonmembers $21 (includes daily admission).
Wine, food AND nature! Join us at the historic Groesbeck Estate for a “taste of the land.” Enjoy nature’s bounty as you savor the flavor of a pawpaw harvest. Taste your way around the room as you sample delectable food bites selected to pair with Cincinnati Nature Center’s own pawpaw wine. Discover everything from the extinct animals that used to spread the pawpaw’s seeds to the true meaning of the many names for pawpaw. Learn from the winemaker as he reveals the process he used to create pawpaw melomel.
Food bite offerings include:
- Cheese tray
- At the grill: skewers of flank steak, shrimp or curry chicken paired with pawpaw inspired sauces
- Pawpaw vinaigrette atop mixed greens
- Pawpaw lassi
- Pawpaw crème brulee
- And additional pawpaw-related surprises
Preregistration required. Tickets are limited, so register early as this program is expected to sell out quickly. This unique experience will take place indoors and also outdoors in natural areas surrounding our beautiful estate, please dress to enjoy both. CNC Members $30; nonmembers $39 (includes daily admission).
Join us as we hike and explore the beautiful fall colors of Rowe Woods. We will learn about why leaves change colors and how dead leaves contribute to the forest ecosystem. Click on the Tickets button for more information or to register.
Come to our Nature PlayScape drop in program. Click on Tickets button for more information.
Grab your Hike for Your Health passport and get hiking with Roads Rivers and Trails staff. Click on the “Tickets” button for more information or to register.
Learn to make fire with flint and steel in this hands-on class. Click on the Tickets button for more information or to register.
Grounds are open 8 am to 5 pm. Cincinnati Nature Center’s Rowe Visitor Center is CLOSED.